Friday, January 30, 2009

Peacock Mantis Shrimp



This shrimp is called the peacock mantis shrimp because of its colors. They can fold themselves up making them look like a peacock. They are very colorful. These fellas have shades of browns to bright striking colors on them however divers should be very careful when taking pictures of them. Their powerful claws are used as their defense. The shrimps claws are so powerful that they can crack an aquarium glass with a single strike. So divers becareful of your cameras.

The speed of their strike is equivalent to a 22 caliber bullet so you won't see those claws coming at you. While I was taking pictures with my camera at the time, I never knew all these things. I went so close to these guys to get close up shots. I got good shots but unfortunately I lost my camera on my last day of diving.

-AA-

No comments: